Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Inspiration


I stumbled across a new Gluten Free Friendly site this week and it's inspired me to try even MORE ideas in the kitchen that include ME and the Family...rather than making separate food for me...which to be honest, sucks!
The recipes aren't always winners...and we have a "thumbs up/thumbs down" voting system that I honor to the utmost...so the kids aren't afraid to try stuff, NOR are they afraid to share their opinions (heh heh).

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've been picking recipes out of my Moosewood Classics cook book each week...and for the most part, recipes have been a HIT. Last night I made the Spicy Potato Salad as a side dish. This one was a 'not so much' with the kids, but the hub and I liked it...but will tweak it a bit to suit our tastes.

BUT...I think I'm going to cook the rest up in the cast-iron skillet because I think they would make AWESOME home fries for breakfast.

Recipe:
6 potatoes, peeled, cubed
1 can tomatillos, drained
1 or 2 chipotle in adobo sauce
1 tsp adobo sauce
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt (we think it needed more, but can salt individual portions to taste)
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 stalks celery, diced

Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in covered pot
Add cubed potato, once water returns to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.

While potato is cooking, place tomatillo, chipotle, adobo sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar and salt into blender and puree.

When potatoes are tender, drain and immediately rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process. (This is important or they get mushy!)

Pour sauce over potatoes and toss
Add cilantro and celery.

Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator for future use

OR...like we'll do for breakfast
fry up in cast iron skillet and serve with egg as you like it, maybe a perfectly poached egg?

If you try it, or tweak it, let me know!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for joining the carnival! Your potato salad sounds great.

Brian said...

The potatoes sound really good. I love the idea of the chipotles and cilantro in the potatoes. I might have to give this a try. Thanks.