Friday, August 13, 2010

Whose Our is it anyway?

There's a new song on the "positive hits" radio station we listen to when we're not listening to NPR
It's called Our God and the refrain says
Our God is greater, our God is stronger


God You are higher than any other

Our God is Healer, awesome in power

Our God, Our God…
Listening to this got me a bit miffy
It sounds sort of "nanny nanny boo boo" to me

Now, before you commenters get riled up...yes I know this is scriptural
There is no god but God
Actually, this is scriptural in every ancient scripture that exists
ergo...my question
Whose Our is God?
We are a collective OUR, no?

I think I'll name my car "Epiphany" because that is where I have my most profound God moments.
I was reminded of the tower of Babel, where God separated the languages so that we couldn't get too full of ourselves (yes again, I know there are more reasons than this but go with me here).
At Pentecost, everyone heard - in his or her own tongue - the message sent from God...from ONE GOD.

So, as I rode in Epiphany this morning I saw a vision of peoples from all around the world saying "Our God"
And God answering, "Yes, you called?"

Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two thoughts:

1. "I believe in answered prayers, but the answers are found everywhere." snippet from the sogn Down on Love by Sarah Blasko.

2. I don't buy any of that "our" crap. If G(g)od is within us then thouse lyrics should read: I AM greater, I AM stronger, etc. but then that leaves the question of "...than what?"

Jennifer said...

I love this song! But I hear it completely differently...

I think this world worships so many thing as "god" - fame, wealth, beauty, excess, etc...

And this song reminds me that our God is greater, stronger, higher, than any of these other gods.