Monday, September 28, 2009

Eco Challenge

I've always been intrigued by the Discovery Channel Eco Challenge...you know the extreme races in really cool challenging places...I've secretly always wanted to complete an Eco-Challenge...sigh

but, turns out that I'm more than 1/2 way there in completing ONE particular Eco-Challenge
The "Country Living Eco Challenge" (April 2009)
"reduce your enviornmental impact in one month-without giving up modern conveniences"

1) return wire hangers to the dry cleaner (I'm ahead of the game on this one...I stopped USING the dry cleaner.

2) Tighten your gas cap until it clicks 3 times - check

3) Burn Soy Candles - i don't burn candles as much as I used to but YAY for soy candles

4) scrub down your wheels at a car wash, not at home - check

5) burn a fire with an artificial petroleum-free log made from wood fibers and biowaxes - I live in Florida, really?

6) Drive with cruise control on the highway - not an option...sigh but i do let off the gas when traveling down hill :)

7) set your home page to ecosearch.org... will have to check this one out

8) Keep your freezer's temperature at 0 and your refrigerator between 35 and 38 degrees - check

9) Use soft-white compact florescent lightbulbs - check (but be sure to dispose of them properly!)

10) Eat meat-free once a week - check

11) Leave bar soap by the sink - check! Even the kids are using it now...woot woot

12 ) Wear organic cotton clothes - check...at least when I buy new clothes

13) Register to get your name off junk-mail lists - check...and we shred and use whatever slips through in the compost bin the worms LOVE it

14) Stash a pitcher of water in your fridge...good call! Adding this one now

15) Submit your taxes electronically - check

16) serve a 1.5 liter magnum of wine when dining with a group instead of two 750 milileter bottles...  okay

17) put cloth napkins on the table - check!

18) Donate your old cell phone to charity or return it to the manufacturer for recycling - check

19) Plug your devices into powertrips, and turn off the strips when not in use - check

20) Place a recycling bin next tot he wastebasket in your home office - check

21) Read/check your water meter - check

22) purify your air with potted plants on windosills and tables - check! (kitchen herb garden!)

23) switch your computer disply to go to sleep mode after five minutes of inactivity - annoying, but check

24) use your dishwasher's air-dry cycle - I fail miserably at this one...can't stand the spots on the glasses, I'll put more plants on the kitchen shelf to make up for it

25) Stow a reusable bag in your car for errands - check! I even have my hub carrying one around now!

26) have your car's air filter cleaned and tires inflated - happening this week

27) replace traditional shower heads with high efficiency models - check

28) wash laundry in cold water - another one I struggle with coz i have stinky boys so it just aint gonna happen for a while

29) consolidate your errands into fewer trips - check...and once my work schedule evens out I plan to work stuff into my trips home from work and just be HOME when I get home :)

30) use a toaster for simple baking tasks - check!

See at this rate I'm more than half way through my race!

No comments: